FBI probing whether Pensacola naval base suspect watched mass-shooting videos prior to attack, sources say

first_imgFBI(PENSACOLA, Fla.) — Investigators are probing a report that the suspect in the Pensacola naval base shooting had watched mass-shooting videos in the presence of some friends in the days prior to the attack, two people briefed on the probe told ABC News.Three people were killed during the shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola on Friday morning. The alleged shooter, identified by authorities as Mohammed Alshamrani, 21, a Saudi national and member of the country’s air force who was in the U.S. for flight training, was shot and killed at the scene by officers, police said.Agents are trying to confirm whether the investigative lead is accurate and have been going through the Alshamrani’s devices to find evidence of those videos. The information about these videos came from interviews with classmates of Alshamrani, sources said.Investigators are being led to believe that this was not some sort of gathering called specifically to watch the videos or that the friends who were present were part of any plot. Investigators have been told the friends got together with Alshamrani in an unplanned get-together and once they were together, Alshamrani apparently turned on the videos, the sources said.Alshamrani is said to have wanted to “pump” himself up in the run-up to the planned shooting and the friends present were not aware that he was allegedly planning a lethal attack.The preliminary assessment of investigators is that the shooter was not connected to a group of band of conspirators. Instead, it is believed he acted alone.The FBI has declined to comment on this but has scheduled a press conference for 12 p.m. Sunday.The victims killed in the shooting were identified Saturday night as Ensign Joshua Watson, 23; Airman Mohammed Haitham, 19; and Airman Apprentice Cameron Walters, 21. Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Cognitive behavioural therapy ‘can reduce depression’

first_img Tweet Share Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) can reduce symptoms of depression in people who fail to respond to drug treatment, says a study in the Lancet.CBT, a type of psychotherapy, was found to benefit nearly half of the 234 patients who received it combined with normal care from their GP.Up to two-thirds of people with depression do not respond to anti-depressants.Patients should have access to a range of treatments, the charity Mind said.CBT is a form of talking psychotherapy to help people with depression change the way they think to improve how they feel and alter their behaviour.The study followed 469 patients with treatment-resistant depression picked from GP practices in Bristol, Exeter and Glasgow over 12 months.One group of patients continued with their usual care from their GP, which could include anti-depressant medication, while the second group was also treated with CBT.After six months, researchers found 46% of those who had received CBT reported at least a 50% reduction in their symptoms.This compared with 22% experiencing the same reduction in the other group.The study concluded CBT was effective in reducing symptoms and improving patients’ quality of life. The improvements had been maintained for a period of 12 months, it added.Other optionsDr Nicola Wiles, from the Centre for Mental Health, Addiction and Suicide Research at the University of Bristol, said: “While the addition of CBT was effective for patients who had not responded to anti-depressants, not everyone who received CBT got better. These patients had severe and chronic depression so it is unlikely that one treatment would be effective for everyone.”“We need to invest in other research to find alternative treatments for patients whose symptoms have not responded to treatment with anti-depressants.”The patients who did benefit from cognitive behavioural therapy spent one hour a week with a clinical psychologist learning skills to help change the way they think.Chris Williams, professor of psychosocial psychiatry at the University of Glasgow, and part of the research team, said: “The research used a CBT intervention alongside treatment with anti-depressants. It confirms how these approaches – the psychological and physical – can complement each other. “It was also encouraging because we found the approach worked to good effect across a wide range of people of different ages and living in a variety of settings.”Paul Farmer, chief executive at the mental health charity Mind, said there was no “one size fits all” treatment for people with mental health problems.“We welcome this research because it recognises that patients should have the right to a wide range of treatment options based on individual needs,” he said.“Initiatives such as the Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) programme has helped to ensure that more treatment options are available for conditions such as depression, however, we know that there still is a huge difference between what treatment people want and what they actually get.” BBC News Sharing is caring! Sharecenter_img 18 Views   no discussions Share HealthLifestyle Cognitive behavioural therapy ‘can reduce depression’ by: – December 7, 2012last_img read more

Punchestown gets the go-ahead

first_imgThis afternoon’s meeting at Punchestown goes ahead as planned after the track passed a morning inspection. Press Association Officials called an 8am precautionary check due to the threat of rain, but that look showed the track to be fit for action. The going is reported to be heavy, with the John Durkan Memorial Punchestown Chase the feature event of the day. last_img

Former Man City Defender, Onuoha, Feels Unsafe in USA

first_imgOnuoha moved to Major League Soccer in 2018 after spells at Manchester City, Sunderland and Queens Park Rangers in the English topflight.“I am always very wary of how I behave and how it could be viewed by people who have power,” Onuoha, 33, told the BBC Sports yesterday.“For me personally, overall I don’t like to say it but I have a fear and distrust towards police.”Onuoha highlighted America’s gun culture and the widespread use of armed police as reasons why he felt less safe in the United States.“In the UK, I am more comfortable because if something happens it probably will not be deadly – but over here because of their rights it is more common that altercations become deadly,” he said.“When it comes to any kind of brutality, if it’s from the police, if they read me the wrong way then my life could be taken. I feel that every single day. It is not just me but everybody else as well.”Onuoha said he was trying to avoid being over-critical of the police and admitted there were good officers.“But the fact is over here they are just people from society with a badge and a gun and a lot more power,” he added.“If you worry about the man next door, why would you not worry about the person patrolling the streets who now has more power, more guns but the same views?“I never go out and feel 100 percent safe.”Newcastle defender and US international DeAndre Yedlin has also revealed his grandfather is glad he is playing in England because he would fear for his life back home.“A couple days after George Floyd’s death, my grandfather texted me and told me he’s glad that I am not living in the US right now because he would fear for my life as a young black man,” Yedlin posted on Twitter.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Nedum Onuoha…feeling unsafe in America AFTERMATH OF POLICE BRUTALITYIn the wake of racial injustices on African Americans and blacks by police personnel in the United States of America, Real Salt Lake defender, Nedum Onuoha, has expressed “fear and distrust” of the country’s security system.The killing of unarmed George Floyd by a white policeman is largely responsible for the civil rights protests sweep across the country since last weekend.last_img read more

The goal is cleaner air

first_imgA problem of a different sort still lies ahead for shippers and truckers. It’s TWIC, the Transportation Workers’ Identification Credential, which will be required of truck drivers starting next year. A fair assumption is that many of the independent drivers serving the ports are illegal immigrants, who wouldn’t be eligible for the new Homeland Security ID card. Port officials will have their hands full implementing their cleanup. But the most important goal, cleaner air, is about to be set.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach finally are ready to clean up diesel pollution It’s been a long time coming, but the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach are about to start getting rid of thousands of high-polluting trucks that foul the region’s air. There’s more politicking ahead, but the most important rules have been drawn. L.A. gave its approval last week, and Long Beach harbor commissioners will do it today. Starting Oct. 1, the oldest and dirtiest trucks (those built before 1989) won’t be allowed on the property. Then each year the standards will be toughened until, within five years, all 16,000 trucks that serve the ports will meet clean-diesel standards. The rules would have been approved months ago, but the two ports got tangled in debates about whether to force independent owner-operators to become employees of bigger trucking firms. That needn’t happen. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre Instead, the ports simply can impose fines on trucks that fail to meet pollution standards, and use the money to advance the program. It will take a lot more money, of course, to replace or retrofit all those trucks, and the owner-operators say they can’t afford it. So who will pay? Stay tuned. Few of the details have been filled in, but the challenge isn’t as onerous as it seems. For example, the ports could underwrite the financing of new trucks or engine retrofits, and operators could pay them back over a long period. This works as well for firms with employee drivers or independent operators. The ports also will look at container fees, which could provide revenue for improving bridges and other infrastructure needs. But cleaning up the diesels comes first because it is an urgent health priority. Tiny particulates from diesel emissions can lodge in the lungs and create a risk of cancer and other serious illnesses. Port activity is the biggest single source of diesel pollution in the L.A. Basin. Ships and dockside equipment also are a major target of the ports’ cleanup plans, but trucks cause about 40 percent of the problem. last_img read more

Flames beat Sharks in battle for first place

first_imgCALGARY, Alberta — Bill Peters guaranteed it. His team followed through and delivered.In a conversation with Pete DeBoer Monday morning, the Flames coach guaranteed that his team would bring its A-game to the rink in Monday’s showdown for first place in the Pacific Division, a response to the squad’s 1-2-2 record over its previous five games. The Flames showed just how much offensive fire power they have, beating the Sharks 8-5 on home ice Monday night.In doing so, the Flames extended their …last_img

Who can work on your farm?

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Emily G. Adams, Ohio State University Extension Educator, Coshocton County, OhioThe 2018 hay baling season has arrived and, for some farms, that means more labor than usual is required to get all the jobs done. That labor may include your own children or grandchildren. Today we’ll take a look at what the law allows and also consider what types of jobs kids are capable of handling from a developmental standpoint.One great reference to guide these considerations are “Youth on the Farm: What Type of Farm Work Can They Perform” by Peggy Hall and Catherine Daniels in the OSU Agricultural and Resource Law Program. Another very helpful publication is Penn State Extension’s “Children and Safety on the Farm.”The law treats the children you hire differently depending on their relationship to you. If you hire your own child or grandchild, Ohio and federal law allows you to have the child do any type of job, including agricultural jobs that are categorized as hazardous. However, if you hire a student, neighbor, friend, niece, nephew, cousin, etc., then there are very specific rules about the jobs they can perform according to their age.A 16 or 17 year old that you hire may perform any type of farm job, including those that are considered hazardous. If you hire a 14 or 15 year old, who is not your child or grandchild, then they may not perform hazardous jobs. There is an exception if they hold a certificate for tractor operation or machine operation from 4-H or agriculture education/ vocational agriculture training.It is helpful to define was types of jobs are considered hazardous according to the state and federal law. These tasks include:Operating a tractor with over 20 PTO horsepower, or connecting or disconnecting an implement or any of its parts to or from such tractor.Operating or assisting to operate the following: grain combine, hay mower, forage harvester, hay baler, feed grinder, crop dryer, forage blower, auger conveyor, power post-hole digger, trencher or earthmoving equipment, fork lift, or power-driven circular, band, or chain saw.Working on a farm in a yard, pen, or stall occupied by a bull, boar or stud horse maintained for breeding purposes, a sow with suckling pigs, or a cow with a newborn calf with umbilical cord present.Felling, bucking, skidding, loading, or unloading timber with a butt diameter of more than six inches.Working from a ladder or scaffold (painting, repairing, or building structures, pruning trees, picking fruit, etc.) at a height of over 20 feet.Remember that injuries often occur when children are doing something that is beyond their abilities. This includes mental, physical and emotional abilities. Physical readiness must certainly be considered when assigning tasks to youth, but reasoning and cognitive ability are even more important if a dangerous situation suddenly arises. Few children under the age of 14 can anticipate or handle danger.And finally, the best way to establish safe habits in the youth that work on your farm is to model safe habits. I’ll leave you with this quote today from James Baldwin, “Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them.”last_img read more

NBA: Curry to pick Dubs teammates if picked as All Star game captain

first_imgView comments Read Next LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary Kyrie Irving on opening night showdown vs. Cavs: ‘There’s no pressure at all’ LATEST STORIES NCAA: San Beda sends Letran to 3-way tie for 4th seed Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients  Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry  (AP Photo/David Zalubowski, File)The 2018 NBA All Star game will feature some drastic changes this year, particularly with  the abolition of the Eastern versus Western Conference format, in favor of two captains picking teams.READ: NBA changes All-Star Game format; captains will pick teamsADVERTISEMENT Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Kevin Durant out with Achilles injury; to undergo MRI on Tuesday PLAY LIST 03:12Kevin Durant out with Achilles injury; to undergo MRI on Tuesday00:50Trending Articles02:25Raptors or Warriors? PBA players take their pick of NBA champ01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight With the top two vote-getters getting the power to choose its pool of players, fan-favorite Stephen Curry shared who he will pick, if the honor goes to him.“Probably one of my teammates,” the two-time league MVP told ESPN’s Chris Haynes. “Until you run out of those options, then you gotta figure it out.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutWith the Golden State Warriors’ roster filled to the brim with talented players, Curry will have plenty to choose from, with the likes of Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green all expected to be a part of the festivities.“If I’m the one picking, no. It’s fun. It’s a different type of setup and a different look, especially on the court,” he explained. “And you mix up the conferences and the different lineups you can get out there.” But if the “baby-faced assassin” won’t be able to pick some of his guys, he certainly knows the wide array of talent available—especially with the exciting new format.“There’s been All-Stars for years, and the past six years probably certain lineups and notable guys that have been playing together in the Western Conference and the Eastern Conference, and now you can switch it up a little bit,” he said.“From a fan standpoint, I know that should be a huge storyline just to see who’s playing with who and even like what they name the teams, the jerseys, the whole setup is going to be a different look, so it’s going to be fun.”The 2018 NBA All Star weekend will take place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California, on Feb. 18.  Khristian Ibarrola /raRELATED STORY:ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READlast_img read more

23 days agoTottenham defender Vertonghen: This is painful, embarrassing

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Tottenham defender Vertonghen: This is painful, embarrassingby Paul Vegas23 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveTottenham defender Jan Vertonghen has declared defeat to Bayern Munich as “embarrassing”.Bayern thrashed their Champions League opponents 7-2 in London last night.“This is very painful. All negative words go through my mind now. It’s embarrassing,” said Vertonghen. “Bayern was very clinical. There is no explanation for such a score, but they punished every mistake. I think everyone’s going to have a bad night. Fortunately we have our next match within a few days. “We must deal with this defeat as a team.” last_img

13 days agoSolskjaer sets himself target to keep Man Utd job

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Solskjaer sets himself target to keep Man Utd jobby Paul Vegas13 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer believes a top six finish will see his job safe.The Daily Mail says privately, Solskjaer feels he will have to finish in the top six as a bare minimum this season to keep his job and would need to win a trophy next year.The club are prepared to give the under-fire manager some time given the rebuilding job needed.But significantly the new transfer policy, which began last summer with the acquisitions of Harry Maguire, Aaron wan-Bissaka and Daniel James, is now the blueprint for future windows regardless who is in the hot seat. last_img