first_imgScott Arfield’s missed penalty denied Burnley their first Premier League win of the season in a frustrating 0-0 draw at Crystal Palace. Eagles goalkeeper Julian Speroni palmed Arfield’s late spot-kick to safety to deny Sean Dyche’s men their first victory of the campaign. Toothless finishing from the Eagles left Neil Warnock’s side still seeking their first league win of the new term too, with Scott Dann heading against the bar and Dwight Gayle fluffing two fine chances. Burnley captain Jason Shackell was forced to clear off the line after almost putting through his own net, and Jonathan Williams and Jason Puncheon both failed to convert promising opportunities for the hosts. The Clarets will sweat on an injury to striker Danny Ings, who was forced out of action midway through the first half. Palace should have put this clash to bed by half-time at Selhurst Park, but wound up wiping collective brows at the stalemate after Arfield’s penalty miss. While the visitors were for the most part devoid of ideas in the final third, Palace wasted a host of chances in either half. New boss Warnock can take credit for restoring a modicum of the stability that was such a feature under Tony Pulis, but Burnley will need far more craft for Premier League survival. Neither side could have whinged had Palace taken a 3-0 lead into the break. Instead the game remained deadlocked at the turnaround, with the first half petering out despite a lively start. Ings’ penalty claims ended in a yellow card for the Burnley striker, but that foray was the visitors’ sole raid in the opening half-hour. Damien Delaney blasted high and wide after a neat turn, failing to do justice to Jason Puncheon’s smart corner. Moments later Scott Dann drove a header against the Burnley bar from Fraizer Campbell’s cross as Palace cranked up the pressure. Palace’s claims for a penalty proved spurious when a driven cross connected with Burnley stopper Shackell’s arm. Skipper Shackell then saved serious personal blushes by clearing his own goal-ward deflection off the Burnley line. Shackell connected with Zaha’s parried shot, so nearly unwittingly opening the scoring in south London. Gayle hogged the majority of Palace’s guilt in profligacy at the break however, blasting high over the bar despite time and space to pick his spot. All the wastefulness continued after the restart, with Gayle arriving too late to tap in Jedinak’s fine header across goal and Delaney blasting a header the wrong side of the post. Lukas Jutkiewicz raced through for Burnley’s first chance, only to slide his effort wide of goal , before Puncheon pulling an eight-yard drive just wide at the other end. Even new man James McArthur got in on the act, lofting a 20-yard drive just over the bar. Scott Arfield’s rising drive proved the first test of the day for Speroni, and the Palace keeper duly tipped over the bar. George Boyd hit the target too as Burnley battled to raise the tempo, but Arfield’s wild shot wasted a fine chance midway inside the Palace box. Jonathan Williams prodded wide as Palace press again thanks to good work from replacement Yannick Bolasie and Puncheon. By this time the game had broken up considerably with both sides chasing a late winner – and Burnley gained the best chance of all. Palace captain Jedinak wrestled Jutkiewicz to the ground for a clear Burnley penalty, only for Speroni to pull off a fine save to deny Arfield. Press Associationlast_img

Published by admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *