“I’m a little disappointed but I think it was a fair verdict,” Sherwood said. The jury deliberated about four hours over two days. McCombs and Harris, who both have prior convictions, are scheduled to be sentenced May 31. McCombs faces up to 24 years in prison; Harris faces 13 years, Sherwood said. The shooting occurred after Wheston, Harris and McCombs argued at Wheston’s home, sheriff’s deputies said. At some point, the three walked into the kitchen, where investigators believe McCombs and Harris began shooting at Wheston. The two assailants fled through a rear kitchen door and sped off in a silver SUV that was found later in San Bernardino County. Six days after Wheston’s death, McCombs was arrested in Pasadena in an unrelated case on suspicion of burglary and possession of a handgun, officials said. The murder charge was filed later. Harris was arrested in October 2005 in Philadelphia by the FBI after sheriff’s homicide detectives obtained information that he was hiding there. McCombs had been convicted at age 18 of vehicle theft and later of assault with a deadly weapon. He was released from state prison six months before Wheston’s death. Harris, who had a 2001 drug conviction, was on parole from prison when Wheston was killed and had stopped reporting to his parole officer, detectives said. [email protected] (661) 267-5744160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! LANCASTER – Two ex-convicts were acquitted Monday of second-degree murder but convicted of voluntary manslaughter in the slaying of a man in his Lancaster home over what authorities said was a drug dispute. The trial was the second for Dwayne Harris and Kyle McCombs, who were accused in the January 2005 slaying of 22-year-old Eddie Ray Wheston. Wheston was shot dead in the kitchen of the home he shared with his mother in the 800 block of West Avenue H-14. The first trial ended in mistrial when Antelope Valley Superior Court jurors acquitted the two men of first-degree murder. Eleven of the jurors voted to convict the pair of sescond-degree murder while one held out for manslaughter. Deputy District Attorney Robert Sherwood noted that the victim was holding a firearm and there was some type of struggle that preceded the shooting.